Letter Of Note of the Day: Pete Docter joined Pixar 22 years ago, and since then he’s had a major hand in hits including Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., and Up.
Middle school teacher Martin Kelsey wrote to Docter in 2009, asking for some advice to pass on to his students.
Docter’s reply was all encouragement:
What would I tell a class of Middle School students?
When I was in Middle School, I liked to make cartoons. I was not the best artist in my class — Chad Prins was way better — but I liked making comic strips and animated films, so after High school it was no surprise that I got into The California Institute of the Arts (CalArts), a school that taught animation.
CalArts only accepts 25 students a year, and it attracts some of the best artists in the country. Suddenly I went from being one of the top artists in my class to being one of the absolute worst. Looking at the talented folks around me, I knew there was no way I would make it as a professional. Everyone else drew way better than I did. And I assumed the people who were the best artists would become the top animators.
But I loved animation, so I kept doing it. I made tons of films. I did animation for my friends’ films. I animated scenes just for the fun of it. Most of my stuff was bad, but I had fun, and I tried everything I knew to get better.
Meanwhile, many of the people who could draw really well kind of rested around and didn’t do a whole lot. It made me angry, because if I had their talent, man, the things I would do with it!
Years later, a lot of those guys who probably still draw really well don’t actually work in animation at all. I don’t know what happened to them. As for me, I got hired at Pixar Animation Studios, where I got to work on Toy Story 1 and 2, direct Monsters, Inc., and Up.
So, Middle School Student, whatever you like doing, do it! And keep doing it. Work hard! In the end, passion and hard work beats out natural talent. (And anyway, if you love what you do, it’s not really “work” anyway.)
- eck912 likes this
- notnotjohn likes this
- the-art-is-here reblogged this from thisdoesnotsuck
- scullyys likes this
- weeabr0 likes this
- cosmictuesdays reblogged this from thisismouseface
- theinfatuatedjim reblogged this from thedailywhat
- theinfatuatedjim likes this
- sergberettumbles likes this
- thishorseiswack reblogged this from laportedesigns
- timlaikes reblogged this from craigarndt
- stole-your-url likes this
- your-3d-waiffu likes this
- noodlynebula reblogged this from blueskyspeculation
- buliz likes this
- thehumancroc likes this
- katsensei likes this
- joshuaotero likes this
- sophiesmiling reblogged this from blueskyspeculation
- laurencaroleen likes this
- noodlynebula likes this
- blueskyspeculation reblogged this from theroadtopixar
- supermikecandraw reblogged this from wannabeanimator
- sakuraprophet reblogged this from thedailywhat
- sakuraprophet likes this
- toobusyandtootired reblogged this from ruii-phooey
- everythingyouarenot likes this
- janelle-grace likes this
- illuminaughty-idgaf reblogged this from thedailywhat
- theflowershop likes this
- brutalkindnesses reblogged this from findingfaultlines
- apilysai likes this
- brutalkindnesses likes this
- slaykatart reblogged this from theroadtopixar
- attitudevalue reblogged this from thedailywhat
- stole-your-url reblogged this from faeryprincee
- miss-bulbasaur reblogged this from sir-pikachu
- kari1 likes this
- faokryn likes this
- mincoco likes this
- wefoundalaska likes this
- the-content-spork reblogged this from newtjorden
- ohhkayyyy likes this
- prince-marthmellow reblogged this from evilapple513
- prince-marthmellow likes this
- sketchbookjam reblogged this from wannabeanimator
- cote-reblogs reblogged this from khiori
- khiori reblogged this from waitingintheflowers